Waylay architecture is composed of the following components. A more detailed explanation of all features you can find on our features page.
1. The best in class IoT Rules Engine (Waylay Automation)
Waylay’s rule engine is the most advanced rule engine on the market today. It is based on Bayesian Inference probablistic programming using smart agent concept, with granted patent US20160125304.
More about the engine can be found here, “how to” videos are located on this link, and finally different rule patterns are explained here: rule patterns.
- Our Waylay rule designer offers a LOW-CODE drag and drop user interface for the business analyst to express his domain knowledge as Waylay automation rules
Waylay Sandbox - Sensor and Actuator Cloud Functions
- In Waylay, rules consist of a collection of sensors, actuators orchestrated together. Rules are described as nothing more than small snippets of JSON files. They can be re-used between different rule templates.
- Waylay supports node.js based actuators and sensors (very similar approach to AWS lambda architecture)
- There are many sensors, actuators and templates that we support out of the box. They are all open source and ready for use by all.
Manage alarms that are generated by your rules
Vault - encrypted database to store sensitive configuration data at rest
Our simulation/debugging tool: labs
2. A flexible IoT data ingestion layer (Waylay Connectors)
- Waylay Broker stores and distribute messages. It is important to mention that Waylay Rule engine is protocol agnostic. That means that different protocols are terminated at the Broker. Broker supports different protocols: HTTP(S) and WebSockets.
- HTTP(S), WebSockets are appropriate choice for cloud-to-cloud or intra-cloud integration. In case of HTTP(S) integration, you will always need waylay API key and secret.
3. Message cache, Meta data and time series database (Waylay Storage)
- Resources are either discovered by Waylay (as soon as data is pushed towards Waylay Broker) or you can as well create them using REST call.
- Waylay also allows you to create ResourceType entities, and let you link a resource to a ResourceType using metadata. As soon as a resource is linked to a resource type, all metadata values of that type are inherited by that resource.
- Our smart provisioning allows you to programatically associate metadata with a resource.
Persisted Message Cache
- You can always retrieve up to the last 100 messages for every resource over the REST calls.
- The Waylay admin console also allows you to browse through these cached messages
Time Series Database
- Waylay automatically stores metric data in the time series database.
- Via REST interface you can retrieve raw data or aggregated data (per interval with aggregation metrics e.g. avg, mean, max, stdev etc).
- The Waylay admin console also allows you to explore the metric history
4. Time Series Analytics (Waylay TSA)
The Waylay Time Series Analytics module offers
- a user interface to design, train and test IoT data models for anomaly detection and prediction
- an API to host these models such that they can be called from TSA sensors in the Waylay rules
5. Bring Your Own ML (Waylay BYOML)
- ML and AI support for those that have already trained their algorithms: BYOML
6. Everything is REST API exposed (REST API)
Every piece of the waylay functionality is exposed over the Waylay REST API. This API provides a developer interface to:
- test & create & update sensors, actuators and templates
- execute of actuators and sensors
- instantiate tasks with or without templates
- manage sensors/actuators/tasks and templates versions and migration
- get real time updates of the rule engine outcomes together with realtime data (using HTML5 Server-Sent Events)
7. Waylay Admin Console
The main developer interfae to create, run and monitor rules or to extend the Waylay platform
8. Waylay’s B2B Dashboard
Our white-labeled B2B dashboard
9. Data export to your BI tool of choice (ETL)
ETL dumps Timeseries Data and (resources) Metadata in csv and avro format. In order to export data, the customer must provide an Azure, AWS S3 or Google Object store endpoints. Export can be done on daily, weekly or monthly basis.
- ETL tool link